What is Domain Authority?
Domain Authority (DA) is your website’s ranking as a subject matter expert in a topic. Domain Authority (DA) is a search engine ranking score developed by Moz that predicts how well a website will rank on search engine result pages (SERPs).
If your website has a high Domain Authority, there might be a higher probability that Google will boost your site’s rankings, increasing the chances of your site appearing on the first page of Google’s searches.
Do note that Domain Authority (DA) is not a metric used by Google to determine search rankings and has no effect on the Search engine result pages (SERPs).
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through to make a purchase.
READ: Why I chose Siteground as my Hosting Provider
What Factors Affects Domain Authority (DA)?
1. Domain Age
The older the site, the higher the probability that Google will rank it as more established. Hence, higher Domain Authority (DA). This could be the reason why some consumers are willing to pay a higher price for the older, more established domains because these domains already have a strong ranking formed.
2. Domain Popularity
Depending the popularity of your site’s contents, repeated page visits and high frequency of visits might boost the Domain Authority (DA). Google might take it as a sign that the content is useful and relevant to the mass audience that performs searches for similar topics.
3. Domain Size
The more pages indexed, the bigger the domain size, leading to higher Domain Authority (DA). Creating more content can increase the Domain Size.
READ: Why I dropped Blogger and switched to WordPress Platform
Why is Domain Authority (DA) Important?
To increase the probability of your content being ranked higher on Search engine result pages (SERPs). Higher engagements with visitors could boost your advertising revenue.
To attract collaborations with brands who are looking for a content creator with an authoritative voice in a specific niche they require.
How to Check your Current Domain Authority (DA)?
Moz Bar – Free Chrome Extension
READ: How to Change your WordPress Domain Address?
How to Improve Your Domain Authority (DA)?
1. Ensure your links consist of a high variety of sites and high authority sites. Remove bad links that may hurt your Domain Authority (DA) using this Broken Link Checker by Ahrefs.
2. Create engaging content and SEO- optimised content to increase web- traffic and visitors engagement, in turn boosting your chance of increasing Domain Authority (DA).
3. Earn high quality inbound links from websites with high authority scores.
4. Choose a domain name that is relevant to the theme of your site’s content. Visitors will have an idea of what your site is about based on your domain name, increasing the probability of them visiting.
It is also important that you chose a reliable web hosting company so that the site does not encounter any down-time which impacts your visitors experience.
I am using SiteGround for my web hosting and it has not given me any issues so far. The customer service is great and their response time is quick. SiteGround has six (6) data centers on three (3) continents. One of which is in Singapore. Which means lower latency and improved user experience for my readers.
Click here for my referral link to sign up with SiteGround today!
5. Optimize your page’s content, images and making your site mobile- friendly. Google’s Page Speed Insights is a tool for users to check their site’s loading time and provides suggestions on how to improve the deficiencies.
6. Improve internal link structure by helping your readers find what they want to find and providing suggested articles. Do not allow your readers to be ‘lost’ on your site as they will lose interest quickly if they cannot find what they are looking for.
7. Doing guest posts or collaborations with other content creators which are relevant to your niche and getting backlinks can boost your Domain Authority (DA).
Check out Julian Goldie’s Youtube video on Link Building in 2020. In it, he talks about how to get backlinks to grow your website and boost your rankings.
8. Promote content on social media. You can find a list of my Social Media accounts here.
9. Join Forums such as Reddit or Quora. Participate in the discussions with people there and insert links in the signatures or posts.
10. Updating content regularly
Are you to implement any of these tips to improve your Domain Authority (DA) today? Do leave a comment or pin this article for future reference!
If you like what you read and want to see more, please consider supporting me on Patreon or gifting a small amount via Paypal.
24 thoughts on “How to Increase your Domain Authority”
This was actually a topic I’ve been research lately! Good to know. I need to start powering up my domain authority!
Yeah I need to work on mine as well!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I bookmark this post… I have to start doing all the things you mentioned.
I’m happy you found it useful. You are welcome!
Domain Authority is an important factor to put into consideration when you are blogger. Thanks for sharing this important information.
Same sentiments here. I’m happy you found it useful John!
Your first tip about having a variety of links is something that I needed to know about domain authority. Thank you for the helpful tip.
I will defiantly bookmark this because I need it for sure!!! Amazing Post!!
Hi Joi, thanks for the compliments. I’m happy that you found it useful.
Great info for anyone trying to give their DA a boost! Thank you for the link to the broken link checker. I’ve been meaning to do that!
Hi Karen, I’m happy you found it relevant! Thank you so much.
This was really helpful. I’ve been working on increasing my domain authority and there were some tips in here that I didn’t know. Thank you. I pinned this one to come back to.
Thanks for the compliments Jen! I’m happy you found it useful.
Thanks for the great post! I really didn’t know how to increase my domain authority and this is a unique post. You don’t see a lot on this topic. This is a keeper!
This is a great breakdown. I find a lot of people are interested in talking about what DA you ‘should’ have along your journey in order to land brand collaborations, etc, but few take the time to explain to newer bloggers what that means and how to accomplish it.
Hi Britt, thanks for the compliments! I’m glad you appreciated it!!
Great post! I’m a newer blogger and will be taking this all in! Also think I need to dive in and buy a domain sooner rather than later.
Hi Hannah, yes it’s better to buy a domain because you are the owner. Besides, it’s not very expensive to do so. Let’s enjoy our blogging journey together!
Very helpful post. I was researching about DA for some days now. It arrived at the right time. Thank you!
I’m happy you found it relevant. Thanks Nilakshi!
Great tips! I saved this on Pinterest https://nl.pinterest.com/IonImage/better-business/blogging/ for others to discover x